(Just a reminder: The Phoenix Hatchling is still a work in progress with no release date scheduled.)
Calico from Infinity 8 must have slipped out for donuts, but he could be back any minute. While he’s run off WITHOUT ME (huffs in offense), I’ve turned to The Phoenix Hatchling manuscript.
Over the last few days, I’ve realized how I can flesh out Hatchling since I made the decision to cleave it in half. A few weeks back, I split this story because Plot A and Plot B were:
1) seriously overpowering each other and butting heads
2) really had nothing to do with each other
3) was making the book into a uber doorstopper even longer than Through Rain and Missing Mantaurs
4) Plot A’s abrupt ending would not provide a sense of satisfaction or completion, especially since it slid like a home run into Plot B.
5) the ending of Plot B would have been rushed, crappy and unfulfilling.
Even as I do this, I am still disappointed that I had to sideline a character (Plot B) until book 3. But it works better this way.
Who is this sidelined character for book three? I can’t give away all the secrets just yet, but I’m sure you know if you’ve read The Phoenix Embryo. As for the title of book 3, that I can tell you. Book 3 is called The Phoenix Fledgling. I also think this title matches Plot B much better.
So, you ask, what’s in store for Hatchling then? Well, I’ll just say Trose was down, but not out.